THE Department for International Trade has launched a new tariff look-up tool to enable traders to easily find the tariffs that came into effect on 1 January 2021. Visit GOV.UK to find out what tariffs you are now under.
Find a commodity code
Visit GOV.UK to find your 10-digit commodity code to classify your goods and look up duty rates, reliefs and quotas.
Trade agreements from January 2021
In under two years the UK has agreed trade deals with 58 countries that account for £198bn of UK bilateral trade.
To check if the UK has negotiated a trade agreement with the country you trade with and what this means for you, visit GOV.UK.
Trade agreements that weren’t in effect by 1 January 2021
There are some trade agreements we have signed that were not fully in effect from 1 January 2021. Visit GOV.UK to read the latest guidance and find out what arrangements are in place.
With some negotiations, more time is needed before a mutually beneficial trade agreement can be reached. Where this is the case, the UK government has put in place the UK Global Tariff for imports, trade with other World Trade Organisation (WTO) members will take place on WTO terms, and trade with eligible developing countries will take place under the UK’s Generalised Scheme of Preferences (GSP).
Open General Export Licence
From January 2021, traders need an export licence issued by the UK to export dual-use items from Great Britain to the EU or Channel Islands.
You can register now for an Open General Export Licence through SPIRE, the online export licensing system.
What else can I do now we have come to the end of the transition period?
- Visit GOV.UK/transition to take a short survey and receive a personalised list of actions for you and your business.
- Visit DIT’s collection page for businesses preparing to export and import from 1 January 2021.
- Watch a webinar to learn more about how to ensure your business is ready for the changes that came in on 1 January 2021.
- Read the online guidance on exporting goods to the EU and importing goods from the EU from 1 January 2021.
- Read the online guidance on moving goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland from 1 January 2021.
- Read the online guidance about importing goods from and exporting goods to countries outside of the EU.
- Listen to the Home Office podcast which covers what you need to know if you are thinking of hiring anyone from outside the UK from 1 January 2021 (also available on Spotify and Apple).
- Check you’re ready to comply with data sharing and protection rules.
- Sign up to email alerts to stay up to date with any further changes.
If you have any questions about preparing for the end of the transition period and you can’t find answers at GOV.UK/transition, fill out the enquiry form and one of the DIT experts will point you in the right direction.